Old 22-11-2005, 05:03 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Peter Bradbury

Default Substrate

wrote:
I have decided to put some plants in my 10g aquarium at my office. The
substrate is what i consider to be 'generic aquarium gravel.' Is this
going to be a problem? What kind of plants will grow in this, if
anything? I have installed a 15W Light Glow 2 bulb in the hood of the
tank. The color temp appears to be 6700 K. I did get a little excited
and put in a 'sword' some 'anacherous' (spelling?) and a small grass
like plant of which I have no clue to the name.

Recommendations?

I'd suggest at the bottom an undergravel heating cable buried by a layer
of silver sand with approx 50% of laterite mixed in. On top of this a 2
inch layer of fine quartz gravel. A co2 system will also be very
beneficial if not imperative. I need to prune every month or so! Mine is
a four foot tank with 3*30 watt tubes.

Worked wonders for me - look at my web site

http://www.shubunkin.btinternet.co.uk

for more details - also take note about the rainwater it makes a
significant difference!