Old 02-02-2003, 09:09 PM
Mike Gilmore

Default Fast-growing but attractive hedge required, apply within

If your hedge is not too long (expensive) try Pittosporum tenuifolium or
hybrid thereof. It will need clipping in summer, so does any hedge.
Michael Gilmore,
www.winsfordwalledgarden.freeserve.co.uk

"Richard" wrote in message
I'm looking to plant a hedge this spring to screen part of my driveway

from
my garden and was looking in a gardening book for advice but wonder if any
of you could enlighten me as to what may be the most suitable.

It will need to grow only to about 4ft-5ft but be dense enough to provide

screen and will be planted in a south facing part of the garden. Also it
should be evergreen and fairly fast growing (but not a leylandii). My one
and only gardening book (my fingers are not green yet) suggests, and shows

picture of, Lonicera nitida which looks 'suitable' but only describes it

as
"excellent for hedging".

Ideally I'd like it to be well established in the first year and a good
height and nearly fully dense by the end of the second year (if this is
achieveable?).

Does anyone have any experience of Lonicera nitida or could they suggest

an
alternative?

Thank you, in advance.

Richard.