Old 22-11-2005, 03:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default What to plant under Yew tree "shade" ?

On 22/11/05 13:22, in article
, "Jaques d'Alltrades"
wrote:

The message . com
from "Uncle-C" contains these words:

Hi there ! I'm sure this old chesnut has made a previous appearance !!
I need to cover or at least partially fill a shaded area underneath my
Yew tree. I have had very little success over the last growing season
so was wanting to ask what would be the best thing to plant.

AFAIK nothing will grow well under yew - not even bulbs.

We've got a Tropaeolum speciosum going up through some of ours but that
hardly does what the OP wants. I'm always quite surprised when it emerges
suddenly from some part of a yew hedge because it doesn't like to dry out
but yew doesn't like to be too wet. Somehow, that part of the garden must
suit both requirements!
But given that it does grow there, I wonder if it's worth experimenting with
nasturtiums? Probably too shady etc. but still........might be worth a
packet of trailing mixed ones.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk