Old 22-11-2005, 03:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jaques d'Alltrades

Default Growing Chillis

The message .com
from contains these words:

Can anybody tell me where I am going wrong growing chillis. I have been
growing bird seed chillis, the small very hot ones from Thailand, and
for the first few years the results were good. I grow them in an
unheated greenhouse starting them in a heated propergator about March
although the last couple of years I have started later in April as I
have been on holiday in March.

Start them at the end of January or during February.

Each year I have had fewer and fewer plants with chillis on them. This
year just one plant out of about 24 in my own greenhouse and two plants
out of a slightly higher figure grown in my parents greenhouse.

This year was not very good. The Jalapino on my windowsill in the study
(pruned-back one from last year) only has nine chillis on it now. I have
had a few off it earlier, mind.

The ones in the frame were late sown, but have a fair few on.

So why am I getting about 90% of the plants with no chillis and only
10% with chilles. The seeds come out of the same packet, propergated at
the same time but the majority just don't have flowers and fruit.
The ones without are much more vigourous growers and make the plants
with chillis look stunted.

What do you feed them on? Do you keep them well watered?

I was going to hold back some of the chillis to use for seed and not
rely on seeds from a packet. I have been buying the seeds whilst on
holiday and I was wondering if an airport X-ray machine can affect
them.

Short answer - no.

However, if you are going outside the EC for your holidays, you might be
breaking the law by bringing seeds into the country.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/