Old 22-11-2005, 10:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Kenni Judd

Default amateur with Orchids

At the risk of being repetitive, we really do need to know what kind of
orchids you have in order to give you good advice. Actual names would be
great (ideally, there should be a nametag in each pot), but short of that
even the general type, such as Cattleya, Dendrobium, etc., would help narrow
it down. Your current question is akin to "how do I grow a tree?" If you
ask that one, you will undoubtedly be asked what kind of tree ... because,
just for example, maples and palms require very different care and
conditions.

On the topic of misting, I'm not a proponent. As dangerous as it is to
generalize, I will say that almost all orchids should be watered
_thoroughly_, when you water, then allowed to dry to varying degrees. The
drying part is where one of the big differences comes into play -- some need
to get bone dry, some shouldn't.
--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

"Ray Chirayath" wrote in message
om...
Hi All.

For the first time, we just bought some orchids about two weeks ago. They
are floweing and look absolutely gorgeous. We live in Southern California
and I have them by the kitchen window. I have not done anything with them
so far other them water them occasionaly.

Reading a few of the posts here, it appears that I need to mist them every
now and then and fertilize them every week or so.

Would any of you pro's care to share some Orchid maintainence 101?

Thanks.

Ray