Old 22-11-2005, 10:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
peterlsutton

Default Ipomoea seeds

Hi Tony

I have also collected seeds (ex Grandpa Otts). My knowledge in this area is
vague, but I reasoned that as I bought them in a packet as a named variety
they must come true from seed to be given a name. The only problem would be
if you had another variety nearby - even in a neighbour's garden - you could
get cross fertilisation. But I imaging once the gap is more than a certain
number of feet the chance is small.

When I started gardening I wondered why you could get some named varieties
from seed such as Ipomea, but not others such as named Asters. I still do
not fully understand the biology but accept that the seed catalogues never
lie (possibly!).

Peter

"Tony Carnell" wrote in message
. uk...
Hi all,

I have a friend who has asked me a question that I thought I'd pose to
those more knowledgeable than myself.

He has grown some Ipomoea (Morning Glory) this summer and was very
successful. As a consequence he has a mass of seeds.

If he saves these seeds to sow next year, will they come true to type?

I told him that I thought they would as long as they weren't F1 hybrids
(I don't know if you can get F1 hybrid Ipomoea).
Am I right in my opinion?

Any advice is very gratefully received.

Thanks in advance,
Tony.