Old 22-11-2005, 10:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

Default Ipomoea seeds

In article ,
Tony Carnell wrote:

He has grown some Ipomoea (Morning Glory) this summer and was very
successful. As a consequence he has a mass of seeds.

They do that :-)

If he saves these seeds to sow next year, will they come true to type?

Probably not.

I told him that I thought they would as long as they weren't F1 hybrids
(I don't know if you can get F1 hybrid Ipomoea).
Am I right in my opinion?

No. But some of them will, vaguely. They will all be attractive,
so it is worth a go. Now, when I collect Ipomoea seed, they DO
come true to type - but they are I. alba (a.ka. I. bona-nox, a.k.a.
Calonyction aculeatum) :-)

The point is that species breed true (whatever that means) but
varieties don't.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.