Old 22-11-2005, 11:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dwayne

Default Soy beans

Soy beans are good cooked and eaten like any dry bean. First you have to
buy the edible type (the other type is used for making oil and are too oily
to be eaten by humans). You can get them at a health store or order the
seeds and grow your own.

You let them dry on the plant, husk them and eat only the bean portion (not
like you would a green bean). I raised mine one year, and when they were
dry I pulled the entire plants and stuffed them into a paper sack. Then I
hit the sack with my hand and got the beans to fall out of the husks. Then
I separated them and used the soy beans. I find that you have to cook them
a little longer than the regular dry bean.

Dwayne

"Janet Galpin" wrote in message
I've grown a very small quantity of soy beans as part of an HDRA trial.
I gather though that some doubt has been cast on their healthiness when
eaten as beans (soaked, rapidly boiled etc) , as opposed to being
processed into tofu etc.
I wondered whether anyone had up-to-date information or an opinion on
this. Internet info is varied and confusing.
Janet G