Old 23-11-2005, 12:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
peterlsutton

Default Ipomoea seeds

Nick

I can see the logic that they will not come true. But if that is the case -
what was the packet of seed that they originally came from. How was that
produced . If it is a named variety - you assume that it is not variable
and hence came true from its own parents. I am assuming that there are no
other varieties close enough to get cross fertilisation, ie that both
parents came from the same packet. Or do seed suppliers give a named
variety to a packet of seed always knowing that they are not all the same.

Peter

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
Tony Carnell wrote:

He has grown some Ipomoea (Morning Glory) this summer and was very
successful

If he saves these seeds to sow next year, will they come true to type?

No. But some of them will, vaguely. They will all be attractive,
so it is worth a go. Now, when I collect Ipomoea seed, they DO
come true to type - but they are I. alba (a.ka. I. bona-nox, a.k.a.
Calonyction aculeatum) :-)

The point is that species breed true (whatever that means) but
varieties don't.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.