Old 23-11-2005, 12:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jaques d'Alltrades

Default Date Pips

The message

In article ,
Saxman wrote:
Somebody in a gardening centre advised that after having eaten one's dates
at Christmas, to then sew the pips in compost for some nice palms in the
new year. Has anybody here done this and have they any advice?

Don't hold your breath. I have got one to germinate, but damned
if I can repeat the effect.

Last year I planted about ten, and all came up except two.

Then they all died, one at a time, and I'm left with one, which hasn't
done anything this year.

They need a very deep pot as I presume they have adapted to sending deep
roots down in search of water. Certainly, the roots of mine just went
straight down.

And down.

And down.

--