Old 23-11-2005, 01:38 AM posted to rec.gardens
ioc

Default How do you get rid of Moles?

"Travis" wrote in message
ioc wrote:
I knew that it was a misconception that they stay
underground...
but I did not realize how many of them come up at night. What I
was
surprised most by was the first time I went after them with
this
stuff mounting a large offensive on them was, just how many of
them
came up to die. I can't explain why but suspect they are
looking
for water (does this stuff dehydrate them like rat poison?

Rat poison doesn't dehydrate rats, they bleed to death.

Depends on the type of poison

I dunno)as that is the reason for their overnight behavior
(looking for
food and etc).

Moles do not come to the surface for food, they eat grubs they
find underground.

Again... that's a misconception. I'm not going to get into the quibblefest
that this ng has become (and why it is a shadow of it's former self) by
going around on it. Google this set and see what you get:

mole hole surface night

Bottom line is this... the OP needs something to kill moles. He might try
going to TSC (Tractor Supply Co) or whatever Ag store chain is local to him
and buy a bottle of Mole Patrol and apply as directed and see if it works.
It does for *many* (TSC sells generally accepted products to farmers who
just need results and shun gimmicks) out here in the sticks where these
things are a way of life in recent years. If he turns out to be an exception
what's he out... 7 bucks? He needs to get them now before they are out of
mind until they have litters in the spring. Moles have small litters, but
each one of those buggers can do a helluva lot of damage.

I'm no expert, I just know that they get more active at the
surface
level here in the fall and spring and putting some Mole Patrol
in
the holes or even moving a little dirt gently with a spade and
then
replacing it carefully gets results. They recolonize tunnels
out
here in the country so the fight never ends.

To the original poster, maybe you are seeing a freeze/thaw
heave of
past infestations but it can't hurt to nuke the gnawing little
bastiids in a few places just in case.

wrote in message
oups.com...
How do you find the carcasses of these subterranean critters
once
they're dead?

-Fleemo

USDA Zone 8