Old 23-11-2005, 03:39 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
GA Pinhead

Default cutting back a bay tree

freemont wrote:
On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 21:26:00 -0500, GA Pinhead wrote:

Ah, yes, also trim it during the growing season. I'd leave it a couple of
feet tall at least until it starts growing in the spring. Then you can cut
back as needed for height.

Looks like you'll have lots of bay leaves to give away!

So you think I can go ahead NOW and cut down to a couple feet on both
those big parts and it'll be fine? I hate to hurt this fella, he's been
real patient with me.

Yes, it should be ok. You might want to wait a couple more weeks for
full dormancy to be safer.

Also- say I cut off a 2-3 foot piece of bay tree. Will it make roots in a
glass of water? Or is that a waste of time? Mama might like a bay tree. :-)

I would doubt it. Probably soft wood cuttings would be best, but that
is a pure guess. Layering would be your best bet next year when it
starts to grow tall again. Bend a branch over, pin it down and cover
with soil. Bet that would work. Google would probably yield some
"real" propagation tips.

Thanks for your time.

More than welcome from NE GA!

John!