Old 23-11-2005, 06:34 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Xi Wang

Default Query for the judges

Such events, as you've proposed, have happened I'm sure. However, it's
not a perfect system, and we'll just have to deal with it's
imperfections. Given the number of orchidophiles out there, I think
it's all but impossible to come up with a flawless system. But do
realize that if one every did want absolute confirmation, you could just
do some genetic testing.

Cheers,
Xi

Steve wrote:
Diana Kulaga wrote:

What this discussion has changed for me is that I will never again
give or trade away a division without naming the plant first. Time to
alter some tags....................................

I've read all the posts (a couple of days late) and I've been thinking.....

I don't have a question; I understand all of this. Suppose I buy a
seedling Catt, for example. Lots of other people buy a seedling from
that cross too. It's a vigorous grower and I soon have a few divisions
to sell or give away. I decide to give it a clonal name before divisions
go to other people. I name it 'Spee'. Meanwhile, someone in California
(who shall remain nameless) has purchased a seedling of that same cross.
By some great coincidence, she decides to name hers 'Spee' also.
So I give away some plants, time passes and I loose track of where the
plants went. Now our California grower takes her Catt Whatever 'Spee' in
for judging and it earns an award. Catt Whatever 'Spee' AM/AOS.
Now a couple of people who ended up with one of my inferior, not award
worthy, plants sees that 'Spee' got the AM/AOS. Oh boy! They add AM/AOS
to their tag because they read that the 'Spee' clone got an award.

As I said, I have no question. It's just that it's almost ... ALMOST ...
a reason to refrain from giving an ordinary plant a clonal name. Maybe
it illustrates a reason to give truly unique clonal names (Spee should
have done it). The benefits outweigh the hazards I think. Give those
plants a clonal name anyway, because it does help keep a group of clones
all to be named the same.

Steve