Old 23-11-2005, 01:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Rob

Default Query for the judges

Steve wrote:

As I said, I have no question. It's just that it's almost ... ALMOST ...
a reason to refrain from giving an ordinary plant a clonal name. Maybe
it illustrates a reason to give truly unique clonal names (Spee should
have done it). The benefits outweigh the hazards I think. Give those
plants a clonal name anyway, because it does help keep a group of clones
all to be named the same.

Steve

Which is exactly why I now name all my clones "Littlefrog something".
It may even sound stupid, but it should be reasonably unique. I doubt
somebody across the country is going to start doing that, and if they do
I'll go and smack them around with a vanilla vine.

Related: I always splutter a bit when I see hybrids named "Brother
Dumbname" and "Wossner Whosiwatsis". But now that I have too many
plants and am beginning to register crosses, it is starting to make
sense. I know where a Brother hybrid originated, and a Wossner (can't
make the umlaut on this computer) cross.

--
Rob's Rules: http://littlefrogfarm.com
2a) See rule 1