Old 03-02-2003, 09:29 AM
Nick Maclaren

Default Fast-growing but attractive hedge required, apply within

In article ,
PaulK wrote:

"Richard" wrote in message
It is for a formal hedge.

I did consider Yew but I understand that it's poisonous and therefore
probably not suitable for my 8month old daugheter when she eventually gets
up on her feet and roaming around the garden. Is this the case?

The red berries are poisonous but I *think* it tends not to fruit when
regularly clipped as a hedge, or while young. Can anyone clarify this?

The red part is actually edible, but all other parts of yew are seriously
poisonous.

However, I don't know where this hysteria about exposing children to
it came from, and it is complete nonsense. There are dozens of equally
poisonous plants, many much more common and likely to be eaten. Even
unclipped yew is not a significant danger to children in the UK.
Despite what our degenerate educational bureaucracy thinks, Hamlet
is not a reliable guide to yew's toxicity.

Before worrying about yew, make sure that you have no laurel, laburnum,
potatoes and so on. And I don't advise having any house plants, as
many of them are even worse.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:
Tel.: +44 1223 334761 Fax: +44 1223 334679