Old 23-11-2005, 01:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider

Default What to plant under Yew tree "shade" ?

Uncle-C wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi there ! I'm sure this old chesnut has made a previous appearance !!
I need to cover or at least partially fill a shaded area underneath my
Yew tree. I have had very little success over the last growing season
so was wanting to ask what would be the best thing to plant.

Thanks

Uncle-C

High Wycombe - Chalk and flint abound !

Hi,

Under my Yew tree, I am successfully growing Snowdrops (Galanthus nivalis),
an unknown species of viola, a spreading clump of variegated Aspidistra -
suitably hardened off first, of course!

Without my consent, I also have growing Geum urbium, the Wood Avens and what
I believe is Enchanter's Nightshade (Circaea lutetiana).

I have plenty of Chiastophyllum oppositifolium, a spreading alpine with
lovely primrose-coloured drooping tassles above a mass of fleshy
rosette-forming leaves. For an alpine it is fairly tolerant of shade, so
I'm going to transplant some beneath the Yew and see how it copes. It may
be worth trying any slightly thuggish shade-lover. Vinca would be a strong
contender, and lovely with snowdrops growing through it.

Spider