Old 23-11-2005, 04:58 PM posted to rec.gardens
Vox Humana

Default Gunnera - winter care?

"Travis" wrote in message
Vox Humana wrote:
I picked-up a gunnera rhizome(?) at a sale for 99 cents in late
June. I planted it in 3 gallon pot. It tool a LONG time to
sent
up any growth. The plant produced the leaves, the largest was
about 4 inches across. Since I am in zone 6, I know that it
can't
survive outside. My only windows for this plant are north or
east
facing. Can I keep this in the pot and let it go dormant in my
basement or should I remove the rhizome from the pot and store
it
like I do my cannas and dahlias?

I would leave it in the pot or probably better yet would be to
put it into a bigger pot and store it in your unheated basement.

I will leave it in the pot. The utility area of my basement stays about
60F, which hasn't proven a problems for storing my mandevilla, brugmansia,
or bananas.

Any thoughts about why it didn't grow very large? The rhizome was about the
size of my fist or a largish potato.