Old 23-11-2005, 06:44 PM posted to rec.gardens
William Brown

Default climbing roses wedding arch in australia

I have an arch of climbing roses, which is lovely but took at least two
years to get to the point where it started looking good. I have another
with clematis, but that also took quite a while to establish. On the
other hand, I grow some vegetables on vines and they grow very quickly,
but I don't see pumpkins or squash as being appropriate.

I would suggest you look for some annual vining flower that will grow
quickly in your area, and be in bloom at the proper time, although I
think if you had a nice arch of foliage, it would be fairly easy to wire
in almost any flower for the day of the ceremony, even roses. My
daughter in law had flowers braided into her hair for her wedding; they
looked really nice but I'm almost certain she didn't grow them there.

jils wrote:
in three months there will be a wedding in my garden. i'd like to have a
floral arch of some sort, and someone has suggested a climbing rose, as
it grows fast and flowers all through summer/early autumn.

does anyone have any advice regarding this idea? i'd love to make a real
arch rather than a fake one, so i'm considering buying climbing roses
now and hoping they'll grow around an arch if i provide one!

am i dreaming, or is this a possibility?

thank you, garden people