Old 03-02-2003, 10:25 AM
Charlie Pridham

Default Fast-growing but attractive hedge required, apply within

"PaulK" wrote in message

"Richard" wrote in message
It is for a formal hedge.

I did consider Yew but I understand that it's poisonous and therefore
probably not suitable for my 8month old daugheter when she eventually

gets
up on her feet and roaming around the garden. Is this the case?

Thanks for your advice.

The red berries are poisonous but I *think* it tends not to fruit when
regularly clipped as a hedge, or while young. Can anyone clarify this?

pk

All parts of the yew are nasty "except" the red part of the fruit, birds are
able to eat them and poo out the poionous seed. When my two were of a young
age it was never a problem as yew itself is not attractive for small
children (unlike laburnum seed pods) to avoid the red berries buy male
plants.
I can understand caution but if you avoid planting anything poionous you
will have an empty garden!:~)
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk