Old 23-11-2005, 04:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Cat(h)

Default Weeding

Janet Baraclough wrote:

The message .com
from "Cat(h)" contains these words:

Further to an earlier post, Janet Barraclough (I think?) said she dealt
with weeds on her driveway and other paths with a flame-thrower rather
than chemicals.

I hope I said flamegun :-)

You did. But it just didn't have quite the same ring to it...

Mine is made by Sheen, model X300...(it came with a deflector-hood
and wheels, but I found both more trouble than they're worth.) You'll
find them for sale on the internet. It has been such a successful garden
tool, the design hasn't really changed in decades. Flame-gun sounds a
lot fiercer and more perilous than a girlie "wand", but I find it very
easy and controllable to use..works on the same principle as a primus
stove. I bought mine second hand (ex-hire) for 15 quid, well over 20
years ago, and it still works perfectly; they are pretty much
indestructible so you may be able to find a 2nd hand bargain too.

Afaik from comments on urg, the gas flame wands run out of fuel
pretty soon. With the Sheen, I find that a gallon of parrafin burns for
just over half an hour which is long enough for most purposes I require.

Thanks for all that, Janet. I'll go do some research.

Thanks to all others, too, who have been generous with their expert
opinion.

Cat(h)
Herds twirl slow...