Old 23-11-2005, 09:53 PM posted to rec.gardens
Vox Humana

Default Gunnera - winter care?

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Vox Humana" contains these words:

"Travis" wrote in message
Vox Humana wrote:
I picked-up a gunnera rhizome(?) at a sale for 99 cents in late
June.

Any thoughts about why it didn't grow very large? The rhizome was about

the
size of my fist or a largish potato.

It's a mere baby. They take a few years, rapidly expanding the root
size, before they can start producing those giant leaves. Fully grown
ones here have huge roots about the size of my desk, each individual
leaf is at least 6ft across. A single mature plant takes up about as
much space as a pickup truck..

I hope you have a big basement... :-)

Oh no! Maybe I can find a sheltered place outside where I can baby it. I
understand it is hardy to zone 7 and I am in zone 6b.