Old 24-11-2005, 07:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
chris French

Default Weeding

In message , Jaques
d'Alltrades writes
The message k
from Sacha contains these words:

Uh huh. While I'm waiting for that glorious day, what was the Euro symbol
in my post is a question mark in your reply. ;-(
I must be honest and say that I'm with Cat(h) with regard to using my
computer. For me, it's a bit like using my car. I want to turn it on and
have it work - I feel no need to know what goes on under its bonnet!

That seems to be Micro$oft's attitude, too.

The trouble is, they will insist on filling other programs' tanks with
diesel, when they run on petrol.

Though in this case I don't think MS can really be held to blame,
Sacha's just highlighted the issue hasn't she really, characters such
as the Euro, and for that matter the pound sterling symbol, that aren't
included in the ASCII character set may or may not survive transit.

Which is why the bottom line answer to this is not to use such symbols
at all and to use the three letter international abbreviations for
currencies such as GBP, EUR, etc. (doesn't apply to USD of) course as
the dollar symbol is part of the ASCII character set
--
Chris French