Old 24-11-2005, 07:31 PM posted to rec.gardens
Travis

Default Gunnera - winter care?

Vox Humana wrote:
"Travis" wrote in
message
Vox Humana wrote:
I picked-up a gunnera rhizome(?) at a sale for 99 cents in
late
June. I planted it in 3 gallon pot. It tool a LONG time
sent
up any growth. The plant produced the leaves, the largest
was
about 4 inches across. Since I am in zone 6, I know that
it
can't
survive outside. My only windows for this plant are north
or
east
facing. Can I keep this in the pot and let it go dormant
in my
basement or should I remove the rhizome from the pot and
store
it
like I do my cannas and dahlias?

I would leave it in the pot or probably better yet would be
put it into a bigger pot and store it in your unheated
basement.

I will leave it in the pot. The utility area of my basement
stays
about 60F, which hasn't proven a problems for storing my
mandevilla, brugmansia, or bananas.

Any thoughts about why it didn't grow very large? The rhizome
was
about the size of my fist or a largish potato.

If your basement is 60F that may be too warm for it to go
dormant. It probably stayed small because it was restricted by
the size of the pot, not enough water and/or nutrients, and the
short length of your summer.

This summer was only my second year growing Gunnera so I don't
know all that much about them.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5