Old 24-11-2005, 04:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
K Barrett

Default illegal orchids or orchid smuggling.....

jamiemtl wrote:
Tennis,

Yes I'm familiar with the face to name Kovach's discovery. Actually
after some careful research it appears the guy who "ratted" out Kovach
also was responsible for the demise of George Norris as
well...interesting enough. The only information I've been able to find
about someone actually trying to make big bucks from illegal smuggling
was Harto Kolopaking. This was a dissapointment as I wanted to base my
paper on underground crime rings of orchid smugglers. Instead what I've
ended up doing is talking about the differences between what the media
says and what the orchid commuity says..

Well, you got the one 'ring' that was caught. Any others are still
underground.... such is the nature of crime, no?