Old 03-02-2003, 03:34 PM
sacha

Default Sarcococca

in article , Sue at
wrote on 3/2/03 3:14 pm:

"dave @ stejonda" wrote
What is wrong with me???

I've got a S hookeriana 'humilis' flowering well in a pot and can detect
no scent whatsoever.

I've got the same one in the garden and the scent does seem to be
noticeable sometimes but not others. Might it depend on air temperature or
something? I was getting a lovely whiff of it from at least twelve feet
away a few days ago, before all the snow.

Another thing is that men seem less able to detect some scents than women.
I always enjoy the fresh scent when walking by some nearby balsam poplars
in spring or autumn, but my Other Half can't smell them at all.

Sue

We have S. confusa, S. hookeriana and S. digyna 'Purple Stem', so it's hard
to tell which is smelliest. But the one we picked and brought into the
house is confusa. I do think air temp. must have something to do with the
release of scent, and perhaps light levels, too. For example, the
Brugmansias we have seem to release the scent most powerfully at about 5pm
every day and the Impatiens tinctoria doesn't really perform at all unless
the sun is pretty strong.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk