Old 24-11-2005, 04:41 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-lo

Default gravel on bottom?

"powlus" powlusr at ptd dot net wrote in message
I'm building my first pond next spring---10'X10'X3' kidney shape for
goldfish, no Koi. Should I put gravel on the bottom or leave it clear. I
have heard conflicting information on this. If yes, what size and how
deep?

My first pond, an 800 gallon inground liner pond had a layer of pea gravel
and looked great. The problem arose when it was time to remove the muck on
the bottom the following year. The vac sucked all the gravel out - we never
replaced it. Gravel catches too much crud in a pond making it harder to
keep clean. Others wouldn't have a pond without gravel. They love the
natural look. You can try it and see if it works ok for you.
--
Koi-Lo.... frugal ponding since 1995...
My Pond & Aquarium Pages: