Old 24-11-2005, 05:27 PM posted to rec.ponds
Stephen Henning

Default gravel on bottom?

"powlus" powlusr at ptd dot net wrote:

I'm building my first pond next spring---10'X10'X3' kidney shape for
goldfish, no Koi. Should I put gravel on the bottom or leave it clear. I
have heard conflicting information on this. If yes, what size and how deep?

Besides making it hard to clean, unless the gravel is nice round river
rock, it can easily cut the preform or liner. The same goes under the
liner or preform. Only use sand underneath. Even cinder blocks have
edges and can eventually cause problem on the bottom where you walk over
them.
--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
18,000 gallon (17'x 47'x 2-4') lily pond garden in Zone 6