Old 24-11-2005, 07:31 PM posted to rec.ponds
G & K Meyer

Default I thinnk I have a leak in my pond

I have that much drop in our ponds lots of weeks here in Colorado. I have
just turned off our water fall and just running the very bottom pump to
circulate water and it has dropped about 3-4" in the last week and 1/2. It
seems to depend on the wind and weather.! I will be ordering a air pump
this year and turning off all our water pumps try to conserve on electric
bill.
I would check around the pond/falls to see if you have spillage out of
the system. We had that this summer, one of the potted plants had been
moved and caused the water to flow differently and forced it up over the
edge of the liner. We thought we where filling more than normal, took a
couple weeks to see where yard was getting really wet but just move a few
things around and took care of it....

Good luck and Happy Thanksgiving to you.

--

"Learn Something From Every One You Meet"
JuicePlusPlus.com
"John Burton" wrote in message
I've had a pond in my back yard for some three years now, with pond
lilly's water iris and a few other plants growing around.

Problem is, this pond seems to be losing water at an abnormally rapid
rate, perhaps as fast as 2 inches in a week. Now I'm reasonably certain
it's not due to *evaporation*, the weather here is in the 30's and 40's,
dropping down in to the 20's at night.

The water is some 3 1/2 feet deep at the deeper end, so the fish (Comets)
are doing just fine, I've been running the waterfall, but I guess I'll be
turning it off now, it's about that time of year.

At any rate, I think I have a leak.. What do I look for to locate this
leak and then, how do I fix it?

Thanks, and happy Thanksgiving Day (or thursday if that's your fare)...