Old 24-11-2005, 07:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Kay

Default Indoor climber for low light- is this possible?

In article , Dave Poole
writes

Yes Kay - Jasminum polyanthum, which is more tender than the 'summer
jasmine' - J. officinale, but has greater quantities of larger
flowers in more conspicuous clusters. Usually it flowers in early
spring, but I find that it will flower almost throughout the year if
allowed total freedom. Mine has 4 well defined flushes - Christmas,
March, June and September with sporadic flowering in between.

Mine is just deciding to give up on the Christmas flowering, and I don't
get anything after about July. That's one reason it works quite well
with the Sollya, which flowers through the second half of the year.

You've hit it on the head about growing it in a dustbin sized
container, the roots are extremely vigorous and it really needs plenty
of room.

Looks like I'd better start again with a smaller one. I must admit that
the scent of a 'dustbin full' of flowering jasmine is a bit overwhelming
in the confined space of a greenhouse

As, come to that, is the scent of 16 Brugmansia flowers (well, not
really, but I'm so pleased that it's still in full flower that I had to
find some way of bringing it into the conversation!)

I would expect this inland and further north. Its not a plant for
open gardens away from the south. The failure of buds to open is more
likely due to sustained low temperatures rather than a night-time
drop.

That would make sense - in January/February we can have long periods
when the greenhouse doesn't get above 50F, and the night time lows will
be over a long period.

--
Kay