Old 25-11-2005, 09:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

Default Wind chill, fleece etc.

In article ,
Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:

and thus prevents
a ground frost settling on the plant. In windy conditions, I assume
that the fleece goes some way to preserving the microclimate within
the envelope of the plant (see above) and so provides some insulation
and also prevents desiccation to some degree. Is there a rule-of-thumb
as to how much frost protection can be achieved with fleece and under
what conditions? I assume it depends to some degree on wind strength.

In windy conditions at lower altitudes there is seldom frost, though we
might be in for a drop shortly if the weather forecast is correct.

But, when the two occur together, it is very damaging.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.