Old 25-11-2005, 04:01 PM posted to rec.gardens
Vox Humana

Default Yews - brown's or hicks?

"Emerald" wrote in message
oups.com...
Emerald wrote:
I bought a couple of small potted yews that were labeled "Brown's Yew".
These have red berries on them, which is one of the reasons they
appealed to me. However the information I have
googled up does not mention anything about Brown's yew having berries.
From the pics I've seen, mine look more like Hick's yew, which do have

berries. I think they were mislabled. I'm guessing that I need a
male to keep the berries coming, is this correct? Also, can I prune
them
now to make them more identical? I've transplanted them into pots
which will be kept on my front porch. Thanks for any help.
Em

I have a taxus hicksii - just one, and it gets berries. They are very
common, so it is likely that there are others in your neighborhood. I also
prune mine to keep it to the desired size and shape. If you are going to
pure it severely, I would wait until spring.