Old 25-11-2005, 07:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jaques d'Alltrades

Default Melon

The message k
from Sacha contains these words:

I grew half a dozen melon plants from shop bought melons this year - in
the greenhouse. Can't remember the variety - but they were the very
sweet orange fleshed sort that you see a lot in the southern half of
France.

Ogen?

They weren't in a fantastic position - also, a bit late, in
smallish pots and largely ignored I'm afraid. Even so, three of them
gave birth, two of those with two melons. Very small fruits (bit bigger
than an orange but smaller than a grapefruit) - but they did get
reasonably ripe and were edible. Not quite as juicy as the parents but
not too bad.

I might have invented cocktail melons

No, I did that back in the last millennium, growing some Ogen melon pips
in an outside bed. The largest was about the size of a satsums, but most
were ping-pong ball size. [1]

Plant Breeder's Rights for you, then! Cantaloupe melons or Charentais,
perhaps?

Hmmmm - do a bit of pollination and grow Long Green Cantaloup...

[1] Fruit, not pips.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/