Old 25-11-2005, 10:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

Default What to plant under Yew tree "shade" ?

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , Spider
writes

La puce wrote in message
groups.com...

Spider wrote:
Under my Yew tree, I am successfully growing Snowdrops (Galanthus

nivalis),
an unknown species of viola, a spreading clump of variegated

Aspidistra -
suitably hardened off first, of course!
Without my consent, I also have growing Geum urbium, the Wood Avens
and

what
I believe is Enchanter's Nightshade (Circaea lutetiana).

Oops ... I forgot in my admiration .... the geum is the 'urbanum' not
urbium?! Urbium is the saxifraga is it not?

But it doesn't really matter. It still sounds really nice.

Thanks for your admiration. And yes, you're right ... it is Geum urbanum;
serves me right for trying to do it from memory! "Urbanum" always seems a
strange tag to give a woodland plant - even an edge of woodland plant. I
would have expected "sylvestris" or something of that nature. "Urbanum"
seems to suggest a townscape or out-of-town wasteland.

Well, it is one of the most irritating and common garden weeds, so
'urbanum' is a good epithet in that respect.
--
Kay

Alternatively it was called "the blessed herb" Herba Benedicta.