Old 26-11-2005, 04:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default It's snowing!!

On 25/11/05 22:47, in article , "Rupert"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
On 25/11/05 21:51, in article ,
"Janet Baraclough" wrote:

The message
from Broadback contains these words:

I must say it makes me smile, on the TV they have shown this "terrible"
snow, schools closed traffic stopped. You can still see grass tufts
through the snow! How anyone from Eastern countries must smile, a bit of
snow and everything stops here. Ill preparation and bad driving me
thinks.

Watching the TV news footage of Cornish roads immobilised, I have to
admit the same thought crossed my mind. The road surface all around the
long line of vehicles was black, and so clear I could see the line
markings. From a Scottish perspective it seemed an extraordinarily minor
depth of snow to warrant leaving 200 children stranded at school
overnight.

We saw the same thing and were amazed at the complete meltdown - unhappy
choice of phrase, perhaps. But there are a couple of things to consider,
suppose. While the roads *looked* clear on the TV news, it had
undoubtedly
been snowing quite a lot earlier and I suspect the hold ups were due to
traffic accidents which hadn't been cleared quickly. And of course,
people
down here aren't used to driving in ANY snowy conditions and apprehension
alone can cause accidents.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Sothern Bedwetters:-)

Well, in defence of the southerners, I will point out that my husband's
comment on seeing the news was that every time they showed a really major
hold up, there seemed to be a cluster of police vehicles at the head of it!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk