Old 26-11-2005, 11:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

Default Indoor climber for low light- is this possible?

"Janet Baraclough" wrote
The message
from "Spider" contains these words:
VX wrote in
I'd really like to find a climber for this situation. Its a double-glazed
plate glass window about 2m high and one meter wide, its in what is best
described as a small porch, unheated but it never gets _really_ cold.

How about Scindapsis (Devil's Ivy, I think) or Philodendron sp? Neither
have flowers, AFAIK, but they will tolerate your conditions. You will need
to tie them in to your framework, as they don't actually climb. (I have
seen both grown as trailing plants).

I once had to screen a large groundfloor window (from passers by on
the street) with plants. After some experiment I found the most
effective combination was well-fed trailing spider plants (grown in
hanging pots at slightly varied heights), with a contrasting row of
tall upright spikes of mother inlaws tongues, coming up to meet the
trailers from below. No intrusive supports required, but good visual
coverage of all areas. It was still easy to water everything and clean
the glass as required. Both plants are almost indestructible so can
stand the adverse heat, chill or neglect of windowsill life, and when
they get dusty they can easily be moved to rinse them clean under a
tap. Both could be easily rotated towards light..something you can't
easily do on a fixed support, so it was easy to maintain a lush effect
both internally and externally.

The only minor disadvantage was that the plant-curtain looked so
striking, passers would stop specially to enjoy it :-)
Janet.

Brilliant Janet!!
I shall remember that - the house in France has a similar window in the
bathroom......... :~~)
Jenny