Old 26-11-2005, 06:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
K Barrett

Default OrchidWiz CD

wendy7 wrote:
Good review writeup Kathy, I was going to buy it but now I will just
ask you! *G*
I will just stick to growing the plants etc.

I was thinking of you when I wrote it. Ask for it for Christmas, *G*.

But let's say you *did* want to clean up your tags.(let's be frank, your
tags are a mess, LOL!! and we've known each other long enough that I can
say that and not hurt your feelings)

1) You could ask me.

2) You could search the RHS database. (The RHS database is a pain in the
neck because one has to spell out the genus, and I can never rememeber
if its sophrolaeliocattleya or sophrolaeliacattleya. I never know
whether there really *are* no results or if I misspelled the genus...)

3) You could use Wildcatt or OrchidWiz.

OrchidWiz allows you just to put in a name and every orchid with those
keystrokes anywhere in the name shows up. So for example we put in
'Winston Churchill' and came up with Paph Winston Churchill and we were
all amazed to find out there was a Lc Sir Winston Churchill. In
Wildcatt you'd never have found the cattleya cross because it only
searches in one section, like 'paphs', or 'dendrobiums'. Also in
OrchidWiz if there's a plant whose name has changed - like diacrum for
caulaurton (or however you spell it) that shows as a synomym. I have to
look to see if it lists all the changes the RHS has made to Oncidium.
Like Colmanara Wildcat is something else now. (Yes, it does! And shows
a cute little picture that you can enlarge to viewing size.)

Let's say you only remember the clonal name of an orchid. In Wildcatt if
you only knew the clonal name of an orchid you'd go to 'AQ search', in
'clonal' you'd type in 2 dots, the clonal name and 2 dots, click
'search' and see what comes up. I mean, why do you have to put 2 dots in
front and behind a clonal name in order to search? Here you click on
'search', a drop down menu offers a search on orchid, genus, cultivar
(Ray), or image. Or exhibitors only. You can check all of Wilford
Neptune's CCMs, *G*. (shows 100 awards.) What's interesting about
Wilford is sometimes he's Wilford, "MD" or "Dr." Wilford. In Wildcatt
you have to know which one you are searching for. Here you just type in
'Wilford' and all the Wilfords show.

So, I didn't mean to talk you out of it. Does this pique your interest
more?