Old 26-11-2005, 02:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default It's snowing!!

On 26/11/05 11:50, in article
, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 04:53:12 +0000, Sacha wrote:

Well, in defence of the southerners, I will point out that my
husband's comment on seeing the news was that every time they showed
a really major hold up, there seemed to be a cluster of police
vehicles at the head of it!

Ah but the police are there beause some berk has already bounced of
the barrier or gone through the hedge.

I went past 3 stranded vehicles, that had skidded and crashed on the
M74 yesterday morning. Two where cars, the other a jack knifed lorry.

The first was a people carrier thing had done a complete 360
contacting the barrier at least twice (you could tell from the tyre
tracks in the snow). How you loose control to that extent on a
straight, flat, motorway with black tramlines, at no more than 30mph
is beyound me, a little twitch that you correct and regain control
maybe but a complete 360?

Maybe a session on a skid pan should be part of the driving test?

I think the last suggestion is a very good idea! I think that what we
seemed to be observing on the telly news was that accidents or 'incidents'
were taking a long time to clear. I do realise that details have to be
taken for insurance reports etc. but it's the hold ups while that's being
done that seems to cause the trouble. I don't know what the solution is but
I do know that it took my step daughter about an hour and a half to get
back from Plymouth yesterday and it's usually a half hour journey, tops.
Today however, most of the snow has gone in our area and it's been a bright,
sunny, cloudless day. However, it's starting to cloud over again so I have
selfish hopes of more snow! I drove towards Torquay way this morning and
in the deeper lanes, where the sun hadn't reached, there were some quite
interesting moments!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk