Old 26-11-2005, 04:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

Default Squirrel problems somebody?

"Mike" wrote in message

I had this problem with pigeons and collard doves. I have a bird
feeder fixed to a fence post. The birds, mainly House and Hedge
Sparrows would get on the perch and scatter the seed everywhere,
that on the ground, wasted.

With many bird feeders birds hang around underneath to pick up
the stray stuff that gets scattered. Anyway...

So
I fixed a tray of about 12" square underneath it about 8" down to
catch the seed. Fine, birds went on there to scrabble about in it.
BUT, the Pigeons and Collard Doves discovered that by standing on
the tray, they were at the
right height to pick straight out of the tray :-(( I wrapped 2"
mesh fencing round the tray to stop said large birds landing. Worked
a treat until they discovered they could get over the top. Another
piece laid over the top solved that :-)) The Sparrows, Gold Finches,
Blue Tits, Robins, Green
Finches, Dunnocks, Coal Tits and Chaffinches can all go through the
netting with no problem at all, whilst the Collard Doves have tried
a few times, they sit on top wondering how the hell they can get in,
but have almost given up.

We are not troubled with Grey Squirrels as we have none on the Island
here, we only have Reds and the nearest I have seen one to home was
about 2 miles away :-))

If someone can point me to a web site where I can post a picture of
the set up I would be delighted to do so.

Go to tinypic.com

http://tinypic.com/

click on [Browse] until you locate the
picture on your computer

then click on [Host Picture]

and it will eventually show the URL for the picture at the bottom,
in various forms which you can then post

michael adams

Mike
Who doesn't knowingly tell lies despite postings on this newsgroup.