Old 26-11-2005, 09:44 PM posted to rec.ponds
Gail Futoran

Default UPDATE ON MY POND

"The Space Boss" wrote in message
ups.com...
It's been a while since I posted here, but just an update:

I got two filters/pumps installed in my pond. It took a while, but the
water seems to be a LOT CLEANER now, and much less smelly. And I'm sure
the fish appreciate the oxygen.

Good! I have three small ponds, only one is filtered
but that's the only one with goldfish. The others
have a ton of plants and some minnows. So far
it's working out ok.

The other day, I noticed one of my fish was dead. When I fished him
out, he looked, shall we say, a little PLUMP!!! Could it be I'm feeding
the fish too much?? I feed them twice a day usually, pretty good
helpings if they seem to be really hungry. They don't seem to be as
hungry as it gets colder.

Usual rule is to feed them only what they'll eat in
5 minutes. I only feed mine once a day, and often
skip days. They do fine. They act hungry even
when they're not.

You know about not feeding after temperatures
(water temperatures) get to 50 degrees Farenheit
and below, right? The fish can't digest the food
properly when it's too cold and it will make them
sick or even kill them.

I will often alternate whole wheat bread with
pellets in the spring and fall. My goldfish like it
and it's easier to digest.

The lilly pads are dying and decaying now. Should I fish them out of
the pond to keep it clean, or should I let the fish feed off the
decaying pads?

I don't think the fish eat the decaying pads although
snails will. The fish will eat healthy plantlife, like
elodea or anacharis or whatever it's called. I
usually find it stripped in the winter by the goldfish.

Do remove the dying lily pads. They'll just muck
up your water.

Thanks.

Gail
near San Antonio TX USA