Old 27-11-2005, 12:58 PM
sean mckinney sean mckinney is offline
Registered User

Location: Belfast, N Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by powlus
I'm building my first pond next spring---10X12' for goldfish, no Koi. I
live in northeastern Pennsylvania. The winter temperatures on rare
occasions get as low as -10F. How deep should I dig---is 2 feet enough, or
should I go to three?

Robin
The Poconos, PA

I would doubt 2ft would be sufficient, here 18" is the recommended minimum and 2" of ice would be a lot, at the temperatures you mention I imagine you are likely to get a lot more than 2" of ice.
My goldfish use all of the 4ft of water available to them so I would say 3ft or more.