Old 27-11-2005, 11:09 AM posted to rec.ponds
Logic316

Default Poison ivy update

Koi-lo wrote:

"Phyllis and Jim Hurley" wrote in message

We found that it can be pulled up fairly easily...and the runners. Takes
care of them permanently. Systemic weed killer also works well.

Last year I had a giant poison ivy vine growing along my fence that must
have been over 50 years old. Where it was coming out of the ground, the
vines were as thick as my arm and solid as tree trunks. I had to use an
axe to hack it apart near the ground, THEN I sprayed poison on the cut
vines which finally killed the big *******. Before doing this, I donned
a raincoat, chemical-proof gloves, and a welder's helmet to protect my
skin from any vapors or splatter because anytime in the past when I
tried to rip up the vine, I'd always break out on my arms and face even
though the plant didn't actually touch those areas. I suppose it depends
on how allergic you are to the plant's oil, but before you are going to
do handle it in any way shape or form you should cover every bit of
exposed skin.

- Logic316

"I think there is a world market for maybe 5 computers."
-- Thomas Watson, IBM boss, 1943