Old 27-11-2005, 05:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default Wisteria as standard

On 27/11/05 16:29, in article , "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote...
Is anyone else growing Wisterias as standards? We have one on the big
lawn
and I want to plant two more. But we have a mild argument occasionally as
whether to just give them a stake and let them go straight up it or
whether
to make a three or four spoked frame and trail branches over that, thus
forcing a broader crown eventually. What does the panel think?

The couple I've seen had been grown on umbrellas as you suggest, indeed one
was on an old iron frame which was going to have to rust away. So use
wood/bamboo if you can. The stem will need a strong stake as the plant won't
have the strength to hold itself up for some years and even then can easily
be blown over by wind as the one by the river in Lower Sunbury was a few
years ago.

The one and only that we have now is indeed on a sturdy stake but is
unsupported as to the umbrella. I've tried to tell Matthew what it is I'm
thinking of because my drawing abilities are nil. He's fantastically good
at working with wood, so if he has time this winter, I might be lucky.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk