Old 27-11-2005, 05:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default Wisteria as standard

On 27/11/05 17:19, in article
, "Sacha"
wrote:

On 27/11/05 16:21, in article ,
"Dave Poole" wrote:

I don't know whether they are still available, but many moons ago you
could get trainers for weeping roses - rather like very heavy duty
hanging baskets around 3 feet in diameter. I nailed one to the top of
a 7 foot oak post and ran a white Wisteria up it. Partly in the
interests of getting coverage a.s.a.p. I allowed several stems to run
up the pole, plaiting them as they went. The theory being that in
time, the resultant trunk would also provide greater strength and
aesthetic appeal when exposed in winter. Whether either of these
proved true is unknown because I moved from that garden over 25 years
ago.

However, the short term effect over the first 6 or 7 years was
extremely pleasing. There were 7 or 8 main laterals trained over and
down and from these, sub-laterals and flowering spurs, which provided
a magnificent show every year. Of course the training is a little
more fiddly compared to when you grow it on a wall, but its well worth
the extra effort. It is far simpler to train to a smaller, self
supporting head and you will be pleased with the outcome. But if you
train to a broader crown, it will yield far more flowers and much
greater impact.

Very interesting info indeed. Thanks, David and I'll talk to the
appropriate 'helpers' re that one. Next time you're here, please remind me
to get you to have a look at the one on the lawn now. You have reminded me
of something I had totally forgotten - when we were in the gardens of the
Getty Museum in LA, we saw tall (15'?) metal constructions with huge
upturned 'baskets' at the top. They had Bougainvillea growing up them and
out through the baskets. It was spectacular. I suppose this is - in a wa -
what we're both talking about achieving. The constraints of course, are
plant and climate!

http://jameswagner.com/mt_archives/B...bartrellis.JPG

Sorry, I meant to append the above.
--