Old 27-11-2005, 08:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jaques d'Alltrades

Default Indoor climber for low light- is this possible?

The message m
from VX contains these words:

Re pelargoniums- the ones that live in this porch area are on the one sunny
wall getting light through a different piece of glass, and even there they
put up with less light than they want and don't flower much. The place
I want
to put a climber is considerably worse- gets no direct sun in winter and
going on past experience isn't a good place to put a pelargonium unless I
want it to look a bit stretched and unhappy. Which is a pity because I have
two (Clorinda and Sweet Mimosa/aka S. Miriam) that are said to make good
climbers. As a pelagonium lover that was a hard decision but I'm passing on
pelargonums as climbers for this spot due to very low light in winter.

I've decided on Jasminum Polyanthum for now and just ordered one. It could
grow up 2m and then if need be along the ceiling too if it wants to-
I'll put
up some wires if that looks imminent. There are bathroom windows
opening onto
this "porch" and a door into my hallway so the prospect of my home being
suffused with the scent of jasmine is too much to pass by without
trying it.
If this one doesn't work I'll try Lapageria.

before you rush out and buy things, have you considered a rubber tree? I
know it's not a climber, but it will put up with very poor light.

I found one on the farm's bonfire heap and rescued it, and two years
later, it fills the corner of a room. It gets easterly light through the
glass panel of the front door, filtered through a cheesecloth curtain,
and it seems quite happy, though it is reaching for the door...

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/