Old 27-11-2005, 09:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Neil Cairns

Default Melon

On 25 Nov 2005 16:20:58 GMT, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:

In article ,
newsb writes:

| I grew half a dozen melon plants from shop bought melons this year - in
| the greenhouse. Can't remember the variety - but they were the very
| sweet orange fleshed sort that you see a lot in the southern half of
| France. They weren't in a fantastic position - also, a bit late, in
| smallish pots and largely ignored I'm afraid. Even so, three of them
| gave birth, two of those with two melons. Very small fruits (bit bigger
| than an orange but smaller than a grapefruit) - but they did get
| reasonably ripe and were edible. Not quite as juicy as the parents but
| not too bad.

Yes, precisely. Without a greenhouse, there isn't much chance, and
even with one you had only a 50% success rate. In my (limited)
experience, the smaller pots and neglect actually increase the
setting rate of many plants (but reduce the size of the fruit).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Thanks I will give it a try this spring and let you all know how I get
on.
Neil