Old 27-11-2005, 11:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default Wisteria as standard

On 27/11/05 17:52, in article , "Peter
Stockdale" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
On 27/11/05 16:29, in article
, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote...
Is anyone else growing Wisterias as standards? We have one on the big
lawn
and I want to plant two more. But we have a mild argument occasionally
as
whether to just give them a stake and let them go straight up it or
whether
to make a three or four spoked frame and trail branches over that, thus
forcing a broader crown eventually. What does the panel think?

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

The two in our garden have been grown on the platted stem system.
There is a thin metal stake at the core of the plat.
One has become a bit leany over but the one shown here is super.
I guess they are about 12 yr old.

This is absolutely terrific and thank you. It illustrates just what I want
to know, really which is that if you want the stems to grow outwards, and
then 'flowing' down, you probably need to train them that way. Yours
looks really lovely and gives urglers who might not have understood my
description, a chance to see what I was getting at.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk