Old 28-11-2005, 02:49 AM posted to aus.family,aus.food,aus.gardens
Jacko

Default help!! washing machine smells funny!!

meee wrote:
"John Savage" wrote in message
om...
"meee" writes:
Hi, can i ask for some advice? i have a 10 yr old asko front loader, had
some bits replaced about 2 years back by the service people, but now it's
got a really bad electrical/burny smell when it spins. not all the time,

An interesting selection of x-posts you have there.

Obviously there is something in the works that is overheating. It could
be any number of things. Whatever is wrong, it is not safe to continue
using the machine in this state. It could cause electrocution or a fire.
Get a serviceman immediately.

Thanks for that. I am going to check out the filter now, the spin cycle is
set to not work if the filter is full...last time it was full of nails. I
have sons. They have a fascination with my machine, but I *still* don't know
how they got there.

This is the washing machine mechanic speaking.
Dont know how I got into the gardening section. Maybe the smell of a
job, instead of fertilizer. Anyhow,
first, check the filter, (sounds like it) CLEAN IT EVERY month you lazy
thing!!! (huge grin I dont either,( I have wife) and have one of these
slow washing machines. Why ? Because its cheap!!!
second,open the back(SAFETY FIRST POWER OFF AND TAPS TURNED OFF
AND KIDS WELL CLEAR PLEASE) make sure the belt isn't slipping
(probably wouldn't work on wash but as spin puts on an additional load,
who knows)
third, if thats not it, it may be the motor. Call an expert and get a
proper opinion. Dont worry about the service call, as its a good
investment and could save you dumping it. Get some one who's recommended
preferably.
Otherwise, a good dose of epson salts will do wonders for your garden
and the machine.