Old 04-02-2003, 07:23 AM
sacha

Default Sarcococca

in article , Kay Easton at
wrote on 3/2/03 11:06 pm:

snip

I have two. Neither of them are happy in our wet clay soil (despite the
books saying they are not particularly fussy) - they are both about 8
inches high and getting smaller each year, and definitely *not* scenting
out the sitting room ;-)

Viburnum bodnantense, otoh, is flourishing, and has been scenting the
garden since November.

Yes, the Daphnes and Viburnums are now doing their lovely 'thing', too. But
I'm surprised at the Sarcococcas in your garden sulking like that. Ours are
towards the bottom of the garden, which is very wet. The soil is heavy
there, perhaps not as clay-ey as yours must be but not exactly a fine tilth,
either!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk