Old 28-11-2005, 01:41 PM posted to rec.ponds
Roy

Default New pond

Galen...I noticed you have posted here before. This forum is for any
ponder contrary to what carol (aka koi lo, reel mckoi or whatever name
she uses) says.....IIRC your around Suwanee area, and had more than
one pond/bog area...If your not that person, matters not, but ask away
any questions you may have as there are folks here that know the ins
and outs of larger natural type ponds, unlike Koi lo that just has a
urge to reply to any and every post weather she knows anything about
it or not.....

Given your area, your not going to get away with too much neglect, as
thigs can get out of hand pretty quick, when it comes to aquatic / bog
type plants and water quality can go down hill fast, in respect to
decent water requred for fish, as compared to frogs etc. IMHO, I would
look into supplying some type of aeration by way of a fountain to keep
the water destratified, and help reduce algae blooms....You may want
to consider regrading around the pond if possible to reduce the amount
of inflow so as to reduce the introduction of nutrients from runoff,
which will also reduce algae blooms.......If by chance you decide to
plant anything be very carefull of what you plant as a lot of plants
in your area can become very nvasive and virtually impossible to get
rid of once established.Some that come to mind is parrots feather,
sensitve vine, water / aquatic clover, cat tails, pickerel reed, water
hyacinth, just to name a few......even water lilys will take over in
due time.. But of most importantance is aeration and controlling the
inflow of water from other areas which may contribute to problems
fromn the run off and of course sediement buildup. If you can control
a few areas to allow run off to flow into the pond, you can build
small rip rap sediement traps which are inconspicuous to look at and
pose no problems in cutting grass etc, but do a good job of reducing
the amount of sediement carried intot he pond by runoff.

On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 21:09:21 -0600, "Koi-lo the freindless one"
wrote.....nothing of importance.......about
par for the course.

===
==="Galen Hekhuis" wrote in message
===news:rqbko1hcd1mmr92qr3rspdvom34sqsrc3c@4ax. com...
=== etc.). So is there anything I ought to do now (the kind of thing I'll
=== Regret Forever if I don't). The general idea is that the whole area
=== should
=== thrive on a fair amount of neglect. I really excel at being lazy.
====================================
===It sounds like you're on the right road. I think there's a NG for those
===with natural small lakes and ponds. This NG is more or less for those who
===have decorative liner ponds in their yards for fish and pond plants.

--
\\\|///
( @ @ )

oooO
\ ( ( )
\_) ) /
(_/
The original frugal ponder! Koi-ahoi mates....