Old 28-11-2005, 03:01 PM
sockiescat sockiescat is offline
Registered User

Smile

Travis Vox Humana wrote:
"Janet Baraclough" wrote in
message
The message
from "Vox Humana"
contains these words:

"Travis"
lid wrote in
message news:YOOgf.9344$%Z5.876@trndny07...
Vox Humana wrote:
I picked-up a gunnera rhizome(?) at a sale for 99 cents
in
late June.

Any thoughts about why it didn't grow very large? The
rhizome
was about the size of my fist or a largish potato.

It's a mere baby. They take a few years, rapidly expanding
the
root size, before they can start producing those giant
leaves.
Fully grown ones here have huge roots about the size of my
desk,
each individual leaf is at least 6ft across. A single mature
plant takes up about as much space as a pickup truck..

I hope you have a big basement... :-)

Oh no! Maybe I can find a sheltered place outside where I can
baby
it. I understand it is hardy to zone 7 and I am in zone 6b.

Last week I built a hardware cloth cage lined with landscape
fabric and filled with sawdust over mine to protect it from the
cold.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

here u go hope this helps some